Sunday, October 13, 2013

Weekend Review

Another weekend in Cuenca, another Sunday reflecting on how things are a-changing.

Friday included a fabulous potluck with some teachers from the CEDEI. Everyone can cook very well! And since we’re all broke, it was a lot of vegetarian food. On top of that, the potluck was held in the home of two of the teachers (a couple,) and their house is absolutely gorgeous…they live in a house separate from the owners, in which they have their bedroom, living room, bathroom, and kitchen. The place is decorated with mementos from South America, and there is a huge garden with avocado and lemon trees, spinach, and lovely flowers. The owners live across the garden in their own house, and they have three mop-headed dogs who are very sweet. Friday was also game day for some football (which is what I call soccer now) and it was Ecuador (Cuenca) vs. Uruguay. The dogs sported their Ecuador jerseys along with some of the other teachers. Guess who won? Ecuador, of course! We watched the game on television and afterwards as I was strolling down the streets with a fellow teacher, cars passed by honking their horns and sporting Ecuador flags and shouting for the football team. And I rooted along with them.
My friend and I stopped in one of my favorite cafés, where she got a coffee. I opted for some Colombian drink. It was non-alcoholic; seemed more like a soy milk with cinnamon concoction, and I remembered it being very tasty when my other friend ordered it a few weeks ago when I took a sip from hers. But when I had this drink on Friday, five minutes later I felt nauseated and dizzy and light-headed. The room was spinning and I felt gross, and I had to run to the bathroom. This happened twice, and I finally put the drink aside and went to a farmacia to find some pills. I was out of sorts the rest of the night and got home and plopped into bed at 10:30pm…but didn’t fall asleep until after 4:00am. I just lay in bed hoping to fall asleep, although I was getting some cool visions for future artwork (was that a side effect of the drink?)

I woke up at 6:30am to get ready to teach my Saturday class, and things went well. They were being brats (as 13-year-old,s especially boys do) but some experienced teachers gave me a pep talk during my break and I managed to get their attention after that. Still learning the ways of a teacher, you know.
After class I enjoyed a nice lunch with some teachers and then we hit up the Mall del Rio, and discovered that this is where the ricos hang out. It seemed reminiscent of malls in the States, although it was strange to see a Subway and a KFC mixed in with the ceviche places. We stopped by a visiting chocolate exhibit, which was pretty cool. A cuy made of chocolate…oh boy!

That night, I met with a new friend in Cuenca, and we passed the time over dinner at a café, where we chatted about lots of things, all fantastic! I eagerly await our next get-together!
There’s been a lot of rain this weekend, but today I met with another friend (from Peru) who is also very kind. As I was waiting for her, some Ecuadorians and I chatted in Spanish. They asked where I was from, and here I feel comfortable telling the truth…soy de Filadelfia, Estados Unidos. They were from Guayaquil (and one guy from Colombia) and they were fascinated by me…a young girl travelling alone. ¿Sola? ¿¡Viaja sola?! After we talked, they needed a photo with the gringa; I felt like a tourist attraction…but it’s all good. I met with my friend, and I ordered a coffee thinking it would help me stay alert, and it did, but even with milk, I still am not keen on the taste of coffee. Oh well, no pasa nada. It did keep me awake though!

Later, a good teacher friend and I went to La Feria Libre, a huge market that has pretty much anything you could want (or not want.) I bought some plantains so that I could make some patacones, which turned out not horrible, but not great. I also made some gazpacho which I am excited to try. And I was thrilled to buy a nice big bag of mote! Finally; I’ve been in Ecuador for over a month and haven’t eaten mote yet? What’s wrong with me?!
The rest of the night is for typical Sunday night behavior: a good book and lots of rest. Sounds good to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment