Friday, October 11, 2013

Parque Paraiso

“¿Donde estoy?” I ask the ice cream vendor. “Parque Paraíso.”

Paraíso. Paradise.

It lives up to its name.
I discovered this gem earlier this week. I had heard about it a bit, but it wasn’t until I ventured out on my bike along one of the rivers (I still don’t know the names of the 4 rivers!) that I stumbled upon this place. I was intrigued by a bike/walking path along the water’s edge, so I followed it. I followed it and followed it and followed it. And then I came into a clearing full of colorful playground equipment (some of it still being installed) and wide open green areas. Ah, green space in Cuenca! It was such a welcome sight after trudging through the crazy city center, with its diesel fuel, dare-devil drivers, and honking taxis.

Parque Paraíso has trails for walking, jogging, biking, whatever. The trails take you through the park and into a wooded area, and then the path splits into a dirt trail for bicycles and a wooden walkway for those on foot. There is a huge lake that has paddleboats sitting in it. Flowers pop up to add a colorful vibe. Signposts encourage people to clean up after their dogs, throw their trash in the garbage bins, and to not disturb the plant life. YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know I’ve been around Philly a lot, but at least I can breathe there most of the time. In Cuenca, I feel that my lungs are getting used to less oxygen, but they’re also being polluted by toxic fumes. In this fabulous park though, I felt free.

The sound of the water rushing in the river, the yells of children playing futbol (soccer), the flock of birds cawing at each other; it was all so nice. This is a park where people come to exercise, have picnics, photograph their grandchildren while they sit on the giant rocks, or cuddle with their lover.
Almost every day this past week I visited this park, usually before work. The more time I spent there, the better I felt. I was outside, I was away from technology, I was alone (but in a good way) and I was at peace.

Paradise.

No comments:

Post a Comment