Sunday, December 22, 2013

Oh Yeah, It's the Holidays

I love living here. Christmas is so chill. So much so, that sometimes I forget about it. In a good way though; what’s important here is celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ, not buying the perfect gift for your aunt that you see twice a year.

On Friday, a party was held for everyone at the school that I work at, so there were many people there that I didn’t know. It was really a nice get-together, in a beautiful venue. We were out of the city on a hacienda, with horses and lots of land, and fresh mountain air. There were games and dancing, and it was lots of fun. Nice to have off from work as well!

Saturday was the first day of summer here in the Southern Hemisphere (but they still put up snowman decorations for Christmas, go figure.) By coincidence, I went to Ingapirca with two friends on the day of the old Inca celebration to the sun god. Ingapirca is the site of Inca ruins, and we visited the old sites of the Inca King’s sleeping quarters, an ancient tomb, and the temple to the sun god. It was also cool to translate the tour guide’s Spanish into English for my friends.

Saturday night, I attended a little public concert/show that my friend’s Zumba group organized. They did a really good job! Women, men, and children dressed as angels, Mary, Joseph, baby Jesus, the Three Wise Men. Others sang songs in Spanish. There were decorations, including a backdrop of stars and a little manger, gifts made of recycled and painted ice cream boxes, and a snowman made of reused plastic cups. I was reminded of the true meaning of Christmas, and I was proud of my English friend for singing songs in Spanish among a group of Cuencanos! ¡Buen trabajo!

The more I think about it, the more I want to extend my contract here…

No comments:

Post a Comment