Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Waking up in Cuenca

It’s my second morning in Cuenca, and I’m excited to get out of my hostel and onto the streets. Yesterday I explored a little before being drawn to my bed, where I slept for about 14 hours. But before that, I wandered the immediate surroundings (I’m not quite sure exactly where I am, but I’ll figure that out today.)

I’m in a town where at 5’5” I’m the tallest person on the street. Where the fashion is stuck in the 90s (hooray, no more trying to fit in with the chic Europeans!) Where there are no traffic regulations, and if there are, they are not enforced at all. My senses are awakened and my mind is challenged. Even though I’ve been here before, I feel as if Cuenca is brand-new again. Yesterday, I found myself just smiling, walking down the narrow sidewalks, roaming through this world where 2013 hasn’t quite arrived yet, but where the people are as warm as the sun on the equator. And not once did I feel stared or glared at or judged. Unless of course, I’m happily lost in this wonderland.

Which could be quite possible. I love being somewhere new, and let’s be honest, I’m honey-mooning right now. I feel that there is so much to explore! Walking down Gran Colombia, I noticed that most stores don’t have doors, just an open storefront where passersby just meander along and stop in for whatever the store is offering…DVDs, shoes, or pollo, pollo, pollo. As a full-out vegetarian, I worry a bit that I’m going to have difficulty finding a suitable diet to sustain myself. The smells of carne-filled humitas are common here, and the $1.25 almuerzos would be more tempting if the main dish didn’t feature a hearty helping of chicken. Still, I’m not too worried, as I know I can find food for myself here. The markets offer great produce and other things, and if I need something more substantial, I can always resort to the SUPERMAXI (or as I like to think of it: gringo-land.) As much as I want to integrate myself as much as possible into this culture, I know I will never be diving into a plate of cuy-ever.

Still, my wallet is definitely much happier here. I bought an agua sin gas at a shop for a whopping 29 cents, and then gave my mother a treat, since I knew she was off from work that day. I slipped into a cabina, and called her. She was ecstatic that I was able to call her from Ecuador and asked how often I could do it. I laughed, and told her while it’s no trouble to do this, I’d rather have us email each other. I assured her that I was safe, I have a place I’m staying at, and yes, I’ll make sure I take care of myself.

After that I thought it’d be wise to get some sleep. Not to mention I was sweating pretty badly (it somehow was now comfortably in the 70s and I was wearing some heavy clothing for that kind of weather) and I remembered that Cuenca was the city of 4 seasons in 1 day. Well, I was just in 3 continents in 27 hours, so there! And with that, I crawled into bed at 12:30pm and slept. And slept and slept and slept. And had a dream about a talking dog, and slept some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment