Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Bikes, melons, and washcloths

A bike…a giant melon…ah, life in Cuenca.

I woke up today in my new home stay. It was nice. I spent the morning walking around the city, getting lost, then getting unlost, then getting lost again.
I love doing that.

By the time I finished lunch, I was very tired. Could’ve been the food, but I think it is jetlag finally catching up. My new friends marveled at how I was so go-go-go after so much travelling, and said it was because I was 22. Well, I told them I’d crash and here it comes!

I really wanted to go exploring though, so I rested for a bit and then headed out again. I have to spend my free time wisely, while it lasts! I start teaching soon!
I was out and about once again, the tall girl in the clothes that slightly stand out amid the wool sweaters and shawls. I had been asking the folks in my home stay about bikes, and wasn’t getting much of a lead as to how to go about getting one. I was desperately going through bike withdrawal, after all, I was known on my college campus as the girl with the bike. And as much as I loved my Mongoose, I was just fine with picking up something cheap here. Then, I recalled a bike place near my old home stay from last winter. I stopped by and made a semi spur-of-the-moment purchase. Used bike, gets the job done, does okay on the hills, not super-expensive, I’ll take it! And now I have my “gringa mobile” so I can be the tall girl riding the ghetto used bicycle. What a sight. I will just never be normal (that’s too boring.)

So now I’m really happy to end my bike withdrawal. Just need to acclimate myself to biking in Cuenca. After all, the altitude is higher here, so I’ll take it easy. Even so, with that bike, I found discovering the city easier, and thrilling. I think I’ve mentioned before the crazy traffic here…
Maybe I should invest in a helmet as well.

Anyway, I was greeted by a peculiar sight when I entered the kitchen tonight. A GIANT PAPAYA. I knew I chose the right place to live! I swear, this thing is about 70 times the size of a normal papaya. We were all taking photos of it, it was that spectacular. Jeez, I haven’t found a reason not to really like Cuenca yet.

Although I went on a wild goose chase for a washcloth today. It would’ve been easier to find a goose here. I went around, store to store, asking in Spanish for a washcloth, which I still don’t know how to say in Spanish. I tried “toalla pequeña,” among other things. Someone handed me a loofah, but I didn’t want that. Why was it so hard to find a washcloth!? What do people wash themselves with around here?! I finally went into some “everything store” and was charged $1.00 for one. I told my cashier that was expensive, it’s just a rag. She told me it was cheap. Sometimes I wish I could put on a mask or something so people can stop overcharging me. Or makes quick friends with the locals and have them do my shopping for me. I needed this stupid washcloth, so I bought it.
…And now, the jetlag is definitely kicking in. I’m beat. I need my rest if I’m going to tackle the day tomorrow. I need to get a passport-sized photo so I can get my visa authorized. So I can be LEGAL! How thrilling.

That reminds me of a quick side note…I met some more North Americans today; a Canadian couple with permanent residency here. I keep finding old people who move here for good, which I guess makes sense, considering it’s cheap here, but it’s still Ecuador, and let’s be honest, people my age aren’t exactly topping their to-do lists with living here. But you never really appreciate or fully understand the magic of being here until YOU ARE HERE. I love it here. I’d come back. And not when I’m ready to retire either. I’d certainly visit this place again. Ecuador’s such a small South American country and doesn’t get the attention it deserves. People sometimes ask me “why are you going there?” To which I respond “why not?” Sure, I never really thought of coming to Ecuador in the past, but once I came with my college, I learned that there are probably so many other places in the world that are worth visiting. Just because you’re visiting doesn’t mean you’re going to stay there. It doesn’t mean you have to live the same exact life as the people here. It doesn’t mean you need to abandon your life and adopt some new lifestyle. But you should learn about the place, experience it, and give it a chance.  Some countries don’t allow women to leave the house without a man, but I’d still like to visit these places. It’s an experience I can learn from, and it can give me more perspective on my life and others’ lives. Kentucky doesn’t allow people to keep ice cream cones in their back pockets, but it might still be cool to visit it. Maybe I can have my first run-in with the police there. Then again, would an ice cream cone even fit in a girl’s pants pocket? They don’t make pants like the used to…some pockets are even sewn closed!
…Clearly, I’m very tired. I need sleep. I’ll probably dream about ice cream now. But hopefully not, because it’s kind of cold here and ice cream thoughts wouldn’t help me warm up. But my alpaca blanket will.

No comments:

Post a Comment