Friday, August 23, 2013

The Good, the bad, and the ugly

Barcelona's got it all...and by that, I mean all the good things and all the bad things too. Maybe not really the ugly things (everyone here is very attractive; is it the water?) Even so, it's necessary to step back, take off the rose-colored glasses, and stop honeymooning in Barcelona.

That's not super easy to do. This city is wonderful: the people are open and friendly, the food is fabulous, if you're into booze, it's super cheap, there's natural beauty (beach, sea, mountains, parks, etc;) and catalans just have that easy-going, it's-all-good vibe about them that is contagious! Hello two-hour lunch breaks! This is the city where having a coffee break means spending 3 hours chatting with a friend, and a 10-euro menu del dia can fill you up for the next two days. It's where you can take your dog to the mall with you and then marvel that the mall you're in is actually a repurposed bull-fighting ring. And it's the place where a friend will tell you that it's okay if you crash at their place for a few weeks while you get settled...and they totally mean it.

Yet, Barcelona is like any other city, of course. It's not sheltered from the urban chaos and calamities that wreak havoc elsewhere. It's where the world's most talented pickpockets sneak around and train new thieves. It's where tons of tourists come for inexpensive alcohol and then make fools out of themselves in the streets. It's a city that has as much social and political tension as any other large city would have (I was told my watch, which has a Spanish flag design, may upset some catalans. Demonstrations and protests are also not a rare sight.)

I'm extremely happy to be here in Barcelona, for sure. Yet, I realized that I've only been here in the summertime, when the city is at its finest. After talking with people (locals and foreigners alike,) I learned that the city isn't always turned on. Come December, is Barcelona still that party-haven, that seaside city bustling with nightlife and clubs? No. The people here turn in early in the off-season (fall and winter) and the streets aren't crowded with people constantly interacting. Parties don't happen every night, and most locals would rather head home after work than go out with colleagues.

Personally, I'm okay with that. I haven't been to a club here yet, and that's perfectly fine. Part of the reason is because I'm broke. The other reason is that it's just not my scene. I think I would still love Barcelona if I were here year-round; there's plenty of people who have visited and stayed for the long run. But, I'm glad I'm leaving for now. I can always come back (hopefully. My wallet will be the judge for that.)

It's important to remember that no matter where you are, there are awesome aspects of the location, and not-so-awesome aspects of it. New places always seem fantastic because everything is new. Wherever you came from usually seems tired, boring, and ho-hum. And while that may be true, it's important to keep an open mind and see all sides of it. I don't want to go back to Upper Darby, Pennsylvania, no way. But, there are places within Philadelphia that are super-great. It'd be cool to live and work in Barcelona, but I have other opportunities presenting themselves to me.

As for right now, in this very moment I am sick with a cold. Sore throat, congestion, headache, it's fabulous. And while trying to rest in bed, the neighbors were singing loudly in French. On second thought, I wouldn't call this singing; she sounded as if she were choking on sangria. There's the ugly side of Barcelona, I guess.

Random thoughts...I have a girl-crush in Barcelona, I have a teacher-crush in Barcelona, and I have a oh-my-gosh-this-guy-is-extremely-attractive-and-actually-a-good-guy crush. So I think I'm good.

Hasta luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment