Sunday, July 14, 2013

Job Today, No Job Tomorrow

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you belive is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle."

-Steve Jobs

With that quote in mind, I am to say that I have quit my job! My job at a shoe store in the mall, that is. It just wasn't working out...I was getting about 10 hours a week, as well as underperfoming and "losing money for the store". Guess I'm just not a  good salesperson. That, and I couldn't care less about shoes (there goes the theory that girls are shoe-obsessed).

Thankfully, my mother fully supported my decision to quit. We would both rather have me be happy my last few weeks in the States than have me be miserable, since I was pretty miserable at work. Maybe that's why I was so bad at it?

My mind's been in another place, that's for sure. Thinking about my trip probably got in the way of reciting a good sales pitch for a pair of Nike Free's or Jordan's. This job did teach me one thing: there are way too many Nike's.

Okay, the job did teach me more than that. It taught me how to have good communication with others. Since I was working on commission, it was important to establish rapport with my customers, and talking with them was usually a highlight of the job (I do love to talk!) I often found it difficult to help out however, since I know absolutely nada about shoes. You want a pair of shoes for your sore feet? Get some Nike's. You need some sneakers for your frail grandma? Get some Nike's. You want matching kid's shoes for your twins? Get some Nike's.

I hate Nike's.

It made me sad at work to know that some poor, underpaid, probably underage worker had to slave away to assemble these shoes, and now I'm selling them for $180. Yes, people quickly and easily spend $180 on a single pair of sneakers. Why? I have no idea. I'm just going to stop there with my viewpoint, in case anyone reading is okay with purchasing a pair of sneakers for a ridiculous amount of money, but seriously, there are other quality shoes to buy at a much cheaper price.

On top of selling shoes for an astonishingly large amount of money (which is supposed to be easy, apparently the shoes sell themselves, I was told), I needed to demo to every customer our insoles, waterproofer, cleaner, laces, etc. Maybe I was stuck in the mindset that customers might be like myself...I can't stand when a salesperson hovers over me, trying to show me every item in the store, especially when I'm merely browsing...so I was pretty terrible at this aspect of the job, too.

Ah, good riddance! That job is over, so these complaints can end (sorry, I don't like complaining either). I made a meager sum that I can add to the travel fund. This is actually my current life savings; I had to use my life savings last year to go to Barcelona, so after that I had to start from scratch. Ouch.

Speaking of money, I've been going through my small collection of possessions, trying to narrow them down (again), and hopefully make some money off of them. Some shoes, clothes, CDs (yeah, I still listen to them), my prom dress (only wore it once, good thing we didn't go all-out on it), etc. I need money...story of my life. I will not let money stop me from pursuing my dreams. Heck no, I'm not going out like that! I will find a way to do what truly makes me happy, as well as earn a decent living. I don't want to be rich, no way. I don't want to be a beggar, not good. I want to be happy (the ultimate dream). Time to wake up and make it happen! Don't just dream it, DO IT!

No comments:

Post a Comment