Saturday, April 12, 2014

Cuenca's Foundation Day

Saturday was Cuenca’s Foundation Day. According to my research, Cuenca was founded on April 12, 1557 by Gil Ramírez Dávalos. The city was named after Cuenca, Spain. Cuenca was originally a Cañari region called Guapondeleg (the Cañari are an indigenous group in Ecuador) but was conquered by the Incas. Cañari and Incan influences are still seen throughout the area today (architecture, agricultural customs.) The Incas renamed the city Tomebamba, and became known as the second Cusco! Today, the Tomebamba is one of the four rivers of Cuenca.

In 1557, Ramírez Dávalos founded Cuenca with the Spanish settlement. The city was founded after Quito and Guayaquil (the other 2 principal cities in Ecuador) but Cuenca grew to prominence during the colonial era, and today the city lures tourists from all over for its old-school charm.
Saturday, celebrations were in full swing with many things to see. I shopped til I dropped with my housemates, scouring the tents vendors set up along the river. Consumers could choose from clothing, jewelry, jigsaw puzzles, kitchenware, shoes, artisan crafts, musical instruments, furniture, paintings, and more…

The weather was also absolutely gorgeous, so I spent the afternoon soaking up the sun. Plans are underway for an Easter potluck at my house. I am going to make my “famous” guacamole, some flavored popcorn, and Rocky Road (courtesy of my friend’s recipe.) On Friday, 3 friends and I are going to Saraguro, about 2 hours away, for an overnight stay. Acknowledged for its beadwork and textiles, Saraguro will be a nice getaway on the cheap.
I have also given myself a transformation. It’s been an eventful weekend, filled with a new haircut, eyebrow waxing (I don’t want to do that again) and a makeup tutorial. I felt like a 13-year-old, hovering over the bathroom sink while my friend showed me how to put on mascara. Well, the result is nice. I think I now finally look my age! Will attach photos on the Photos page.

So I finally look 23, although I’ve been feeling pretty mature lately. What if I stay here? Or at least come back? There are so many more places I want to see in the world, and it makes me feel so blessed that I even have that opportunity. Wow. What did I do to deserve such a life? More importantly, how can I use it to better this world I’ve been born into? Teaching English is nice, and I like informing people back home about this tiny country tucked into the western edge of South America. Most people wouldn’t even give Ecuador a single thought, but this country has a lot of richness. I’ve learned to make do with only what I need, to step back and listen to other points of view and ways of life, and that even if we speak different languages, we can still communicate in various ways.
Oh! I am also published! Officially published on www.4rios4artes.ec. Woot woot! I even have my own business cards, what!

No comments:

Post a Comment