Friday, March 21, 2014

Therapy with Norm

Just when I want to curl into a ball, hide under a blanket the size of an ocean, and forget about the world, I decide instead to let Norm help me.

He knows how to just listen. I can take all of my frustrations out on him. He takes the brunt of my anger, fear, hopelessness…and in his own quiet way; he’ll challenge me to suck it up. Or pedal faster.
Norm’s my bike, if you haven’t caught on. We’ve gotten very close in the past 6 months. At times he acts like a child, losing a part here, jamming his chain there. Other times, he acts like a close friend, helping me escape when I’m just about up to my neck in problems. He’s my baby, plain and simple. Some people have their cars, or their pets, or a vacuum clean perhaps. I have Norm.

I really needed him today. I’ve hit the half-a-year homesickness checkpoint, and there was a delay in pulling out of the station. This past week, I’ve been bombarded with thoughts and reminders of people back home, mainly, my best friends. Coming from a family that’s not super lovey-dovey, I don’t get many “We miss you! Come back home!” messages. As long as I’m alive and well, that’s sufficient.
Add that to the fact that I hadn’t heard from my best, best friend for almost 2 months, and I was feeling pretty low. In her defense, she says she hadn’t received my messages for some weird reason. I’m telling myself that’s the truth, because I had a good cry this morning, just thinking that most people took the “out of sight, out of mind” approach to my new life in Ecuador.

After a second round of tears today, I turned to Norm. Take me somewhere, anywhere! So I pedaled and pedaled and got lost for a bit, then found my way back home. The stress seeped down from my cranium, through my arms, and down into my burning legs, which just kept going and going and going. Norm loved it; no words needed, just pedal to the metal, and we were off. Fueled by womanpower, we trekked through the ‘burbs of Cuenca, and slowly but surely, my worries and concerns blew away with the breeze brushing against my face.
Okay, so maybe I have a somewhat obsessive relationship with my bike, but it beats shelling out my well-earned dough for some stranger to listen to me weep on their sofa. I bet that sofa wouldn’t even be comfortable. It’d probably be some microfiber aqua-colored get-up that only looks chic but feels like crap. J Look! I’m feeling better enough to crack jokes!

Everyone has their way to deal with problems; A.K.A. life. Some people are perfectly fine sitting on a couch and spilling their guts. Others journal. Some talk to their best buds about it. There are those who turn to their faith for consolation. Personally, I prefer a combination of all of these things.
Nobody said life was easy. I believe life can be great! But great isn’t the same as easy. Everyone faces the highs and the lows. When you’re far away from the people you care most about, it can be disorienting. Yet, in a way, I suppose it’s making me stronger. Anyway, I’ve got a lot to be thankful for; the list keeps growing every day.

You can bet that Norm’s on the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment