Sunday, February 23, 2014

Birthday in Cuenca

“I feel so loved.” I said that about 4 times (genuinely) yesterday. It was my first birthday abroad, and it was wonderful! I was surrounded by great friends, good vibes, and so much joy; I think the happiness beams were just shooting out of my body!

Since my birthday fell on a Saturday, I had to teach. I didn’t mind, because I adore my Saturday class: 2 girls who are stellar students. It’s very easy to work with them, and they even got me a cake! That was the beginning of my all-day sugar rush.
Part 2 of the celebration was a lunch date with a friend at Sports Planet, a restaurant/bar where as the birthday girl, I got a free menu item. We noshed on nachos, followed by a complimentary ice cream, which we shared.

The grand event was High Tea at the Alcazar hotel. This gem of a place is nestled among the craziness of downtown Cuenca, but once you walk through the glass doors, you are transported to a wonderland of shiny chandeliers, gurgling fountains, majestic statues, and lush gardens. Our soiree was housed in a pergola in the garden, and the image of the sun shining through the glass walls, glinting off the china and teacups, is plastered to my brain. I’ve never taken part in anything like this…fancy marmalades, sweet breads, fine tea, and dainty hor d’oeuvres. Was this Ecuador or the Queen’s Palace in England? It was 2 hours of pure bliss and luxury; I’m quite thankful to have had that experience. The thanks really go to my two very good friends, Lynne and Eileen for organizing that extravaganza. These two women are more than friends, they’re my beacons of light when I’m weathering stormy seas; they’re stable supports when I’m stumbling through the obstacles of life; they’re my partners in crime when we’re gallivanting through a culture that sometimes confuses (or amuses) us. They’re family now, whether they like it or not!
A bonus to the garden bash was that Lynne’s birthday was the day before mine, so our High Tea was a double-celebration. All-in-all, it was a whimsical afternoon spent with a group of outstanding women and friends. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I guess I should say Gracias. Gracias. Gracias. Even if you took away the fancy food, the elegant setting, and the extremely generous gifts (did I deserve all of that?) the people made the occasion special. And you know what? I’m realizing that as I get older, life keeps getting better. We’ll see if I say the same thing in a couple of decades!

No comments:

Post a Comment