Sunday, June 23, 2013

La gringa trabaja...The gringa works

Ah, yes, I have started my very first retail job. Yahoo. Welcome to real life.
Well, actually it's not that bad, I'm just not very good at it. I am working in a shoe store in the mall, and at least the job is high energy, and I get constant human interaction. This has alleviated my post-grad depression! I am very happy to report that!
After accepting that one of my managers and I have an extreme personality difference, things at work have been not bad. I do feel rather bad that I have to keep being re-trained, when a co-worker who started after me is already on top of his game. But it's all good, after all, he's a total sneakerhead, so this job comes naturally to him. Me? I can't tell you anything about footwear.
You walk in for a good running shoe? Look at the Nike's.
You need something to take the strain off your instep? Look at the Nike's.
You want something arthitis-friendly for your grandmother? Look at the Nike's.
I despise Nike's.
But I sell a lot of 'em. Over these past few weeks, I have learned more about the products I am selling. After all, customers are expecting me to be an "expert" when it comes to sneakers. I got introduced to a pair of Brook's shoes, and I must say, they are comfortable and make good shoes for exercise. So now I can ramble on about Brook's Asics, and the seemingly endless array of Nike's we carry in the store. So many Nike's! Too many. Some poor Bangladeshi boy worked for hours in horrible working conditions for pennies so that people in the States could buy them (on sale) for $140.99. I could cry.
But instead, I ring my customers up with a fancy-pants iStore that hates me. It is an Apple product, and it senses that I am the only 20-something in this country that has no iPhone experience. Therefore, it proceeds to malfunction nearly every time I use it. Then, my general manager will touch it, and it will spring to life. And then, I feel dumb, and the customer gets antsy. And this explains why I am working 2 days this week. Yahoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment